SCRAP PDX was founded in 1998 by a group of teachers who wanted to find a home for their leftover classroom materials. They brought these materials to A Teacher’s Space, a resource center for Portland Public School teachers, and left them on a table for others to use. In 1999, an innovative teacher named Joan Grimm got together with a handful of her peers and received a grant from the Department of Environmental Quality to open a small creative reuse center for the community. Located first inside the ReBuilding Center on Mississippi St., then on N. Williams Ave., SCRAP PDX was located on NE MLK from 2009 - 2015 and is now in its current expanded location at 1736 SW Alder St.
In the 2013 fiscal year, SCRAP PDX diverted over 140 tons of usable material from the waste stream—an increase of 22,000 pounds over the previous year. SCRAP PDX now has five satellite locations across the country as part of its SCRAP USA network, including in Denton, TX; Arcata, CA; Washington, DC; Traverse City, MI; and New Orleans, LA.
SCRAP store and our old pickup van, Truckie, on N. Williams.